Saturday, April 3, 2010

In love with Ethan Hawke.


Today in my teenage angst, I fell in love with Ethan Hawke. 
I mean who wouldn't right? But I was watching my favorite movie, Dead Poet's Society and in the scene where Robin Williams makes Ethan Hawke present his poem in front of the class I was reminded exactly why I'm in love with Ethan Hawke and more importantly education. 
Here is the clip of this scene on youtube, so you too can understand the purpose of this post.
Beyond this, here is Ethan's poem, from the scene proving that emotion and struggle implicate beauty.

Madman
I close my eyes, and this image floats beside me; 
A sweaty-toothed madman with a stare that pounds my brain. 
His hands reach out and choke me, and all the time he's mumbling; mumbling truth;
Truth like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold;
You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. You kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us.
From the moment we enter crying to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face,
As you wail and cry and scream.

No comments: