Saturday, August 22, 2009

Psychological Dissociation.

I experienced some psychological dissociation last weekend, while driving the long, dark road home from Hudson Bay, SK. Just as an aside, never go to Hudson Bay, SK.

It was around 12.30 and we'd been on the road for about two and a half hours. My mind kept telling me that the road was about to curve when it clearly was not. I began to feel more and more like someone else was driving the car I was in control of.

Then, I saw a sign telling me that the road was in fact about to curve so that I could prepare for it. As I snapped back to reality and into control of my vehicle I began to think about the fact that no matter what road I am on, be it a major highway, minor highway, gravel or dirt road, there will always be a sign telling me that the road is about to curve.

What a wonderful aspect of American travel. As I thought about this, I began to feel an imense amount of gratitude for the men who, decades ago, put up every one of those signs. I began to wonder who they were; why they were hired for that task; if they belonged to a union of highway workers that simply got stuck with the job. Perhaps it was a make work project during the thirties. Who will ever know?

So next time you're driving in the early morn and you're not sure what exactly is ahead of you, be grateful for the assurance that at least regarding the road, you will always know what's coming.


No comments: